Tips on how to poach your egg perfectly
- Step 1: Fill your sauce pan up with water up to about 2 or 3 inches.
- Step 2: Make sure your water is not boiling vigorously, this is what makes the egg break apart in the water. Have the water at a light simmer.
- Step 3: Add a teaspoon of malt/white wine vinegar to the sauce pan.
- Step 4: Crack your egg into a tea cup, this allows the egg to be dropped into the water carefully.
- Step 5: With a spoon create a whirlpool in the water, as soon as you stop stirring, gently pour the egg into the centre of the whirlpool.
- Step 6: Cook until it floats to the top, this will give you a slightly runny egg yolk, thats the best way I like it!
- Step 7: IMPORTANT, place the egg on kitchen towel before putting it on your bread/bacon, this prevents the egg from making every thing soggy!
- Step 8: Serve egg with a generous pinch of sea salt and some black pepper, on lightly fried prosciutto ham (with no oil in pan) along side buttered Irish soda bread (my favourite is Mc Cambridges ).
- Some people like to cook their egg by wrapping it in a little bit of cling film to create a ball shape. I honestly have not tried this, I couldnt be bothered with the fiddly mess.